Yeah, many people use those for this application and I even have some, both
DIP and SIP, but the thickness of the pins on the ones I've been able to
find is more than an IC leg and they don't fit well into machined pin
sockets; are yours thin enough?

And I don't use the component carriers as is; I extract the pins while
watching a baseball game or some other mindless distraction and then insert
them from the top through the pcb, trimming off the forks after soldering.
Admittedly, I wouldn't want to do 100 pcbs in one sitting that way...