On 2/27/2021 12:20 PM, Mike Stein wrote:
Yeah, many people use those for this application and I even have some, both DIP and SIP, but the thickness of the pins on the ones I've been able to find is more than an IC leg and they don't fit well into machined pin sockets; are yours thin enough?

I feel they are.  And, they fit into machine pin sockets.

I've used them in commercial products for 15 years, and no complaints, even after folks reverted back to non machine pin ICs.

I don't think one has to be exactly as thin as an IC pin (they make IC pins just thick enough to handle the force of pushing into a socket, no more :-), but rather no larger than the expected width a leaf socket expects.

And I don't use the component carriers as is; I extract the pins while watching a baseball game or some other mindless distraction and then insert them from the top through the pcb, trimming off the forks after soldering. Admittedly, I wouldn't want to do 100 pcbs in one sitting that way...

Yeah, I can see that as viable for very small batches, but I get ROM adapters and such assembled in batches of 100 or 200 at a time.  The cost to handle it that way would be prohibitive to the hobbyist nature.

I do agree the regular square pins available at most electronics connector houses are too wide, they spread the leaf socket out too much.  As has been noted, the cheaper Arduino male-female headers you can buy on eBay work great as well.  They are about .1mm thicker than the IC pin thickness.

Jim