" some people apparently have the opinion that you shouldn't respond unless
you have a specific, substantive thing to say"

Yeah I hope that's not where we're at. There's a balance somewhere.

When someone asks a question and I don't have an answer or know where to
look for it I don't usually respond because I feel like my reply would
divert/ get in the way of the member getting their answer.

There's no real rule about it. But if people are following that
etiquette it might look like no one cares. I think the list folk are pretty
helpful and responsive. So if no one answers it's probably because no one
currently reading knows. Not a technical issue.

-- John.