On 10/6/22 13:40, Tommy Phillips wrote:
Just for the record, I have really enjoyed the discussion that my off-hand remark sparked!

Me too.

I agree with Mike that it's at least from the outside conceptually a bit like Android, or IOS or PalmOS.

It's also one of the few things that makes the 600 still barely barely in this family.

It's 8086 and entirely different firmware and architecture, but it is still a main menu front-end to a set of both rom and ram apps, battery-backed volatile ram storage for apps & files, and the serial & parallel ports are physically the same as the k85 clones (and unlike everything else). At least HH/OS (Hand Held OS) actually has "OS" in it's name, and it's functionally/conceptually the same as the 100's main menu. But unlike 100/k85, it isn't based on BASIC, it doesn't even include BASIC by default.

But as Mike points out, even on the 100, BASIC is really just another rom app, not the primary interface to the machine. Well mostly. I'm sure the main rom uses library functions from BAISC, so it's not that you could literally remove it, and further than that there are a handful of ordinary operations where the interface is only through BASIC, like deleting a file. But those are the minority. You don't need to start from a BASIC prompt to RUN an app like say on a COCO. The machine is largely driven by the main menu and the actual apps. You could do a lot with only rarely actually needing to enter the BASIC command line.

But both BASIC itself like on some machines, and the main menu + BASIC on the 100, or HH/OS on the 600 are all operating systems. That was three, so not both, thrith? trith?