> Brian,
Great suggestion on read only.  That's a cool idea.

I'm actually daydreaming about something a step further, too.

Thinking about a way to be able to save files directly into an image.
Getting away from the ram image concept would allow that.   To keep a ram
image intact, it is really hard to deal with the file system pointers.  But
if you just want to store a file, much simpler.  In that way an image could
be read write like a "disk".

If I can figure out a quick way for write protect I may include in 2.2.

Cheers Steve

> On Monday, January 30, 2023, Brian K. White <b.kenyo...@gmail.com> wrote:

That is a great set of updates.

Personally I prefer year-first dates so don't assume the illogical way was
> was a universal preference ;)

> But it's a small thing that I also don't think it's worth making
> configurable. I would have told anyone who cared enough to ask for it to be
> changed, to get over it and find something more important to worry aboiut.
> But likewise, I am saying that for myself now that it's the "wrong" way.

> Auto-updating the current ram image before loading a different one sounds
> like one of those tiny things that makes a big difference. Probably very
> little code to do it, but it makes a whole different convenient usage
> pattern like keeping a bunch of live ram banks rather than a bunch of
> backups.

> And yet they can still be used as backups & references too, just answer no
> to update.

> Maybe a complementary feature should go along with auto-saving backups,
> which would be the ability to mark an image read-only, so that you can
> protect images from accidentally being modified. It sounds like the way the
> auto backup is done is probably a question that gets asked every time
> rather than really automatic, but still once that convenience exists, it
> trains the user to answer quickly by habit, and so the safety lock option
> would complement and counter that. Or maybe instead of a read-only flag,
> it's an auto-save flag. For marked images, they always auto-save on exit,
> and unmarked images don't. Maybe a single flag if it's more than one bit
> could indicate a few different possible states: auto-save never/always/ask,
> read-only y/n.

> Just thinking out loud.

> --

bkw

> On 1/30/23 18:19, Stephen Adolph wrote:

I'm most of the way through testing a bug fix release for REX# and REXCPM.

Current load is R2.1 build 19.

> New load is R2.2. Here's the list of changes (see below).

I'll post the upgrade files to the wiki when I am happy it is all looking
> good!

cheers

Steve

>   Bugs

>    Rel 2.1: All: Fix the date display. Now it is YY/MM/DD. Request is to
> change to DD/MM/20YY. Seems reasonable.

   Maybe a date format toggle control? "D" in REXMGR menu.

   Coded R2.2 / Tested

>    Rel 2.1: M100/T102: Make display tolerant to "hardware scrolling main
> ROM".

   Coded R2.2/ Tested

>    Rel 2.1: Interworking with actual TPDD does not work. Fix pending.

   Coded R2.2 / Tested

>    Rel 2.1: NEC: noticed that, with only one RAM bank installed, pressing
> TAB or BANK causes laptop to hang in MENU.

   This should not happen. Probably affects T200 as well. Yes it did.

   Coded R2.2 / Tested

>    Rel 2.1: All: Reduce time on power up before option rom is switched, to
> prevent undesired uninstall of option rom.

   Coded R2.2 / Tested

>    Rel 2.1: T200: UR-2 support seems like it is broken.

   Major defect discovered, coding error on my part. Fixed.

   Coded R2.2 / tested

>   Feature Requests

>    Rel 2.1: Request to put an "Overwrite?" option to allow images to be
> saved when one exists already. Great idea!

   Coded R2.2 / Tested

>    Rel 2.1: All: when switching RAMs, give option to re-save current RAM
> or not.

   Coded R2.2 / Tested

>    Rel 2.1: M100: add quickmenu command to reNAME or KILL a file in MENU.
> T200: add quickmenu command to NAME a file in MENU.

   Coded R2.2 / Tested

>    Rel 2.1: All: Allow use to de-install the active ROM, leaving no ROM
> active. F6.

   Coded R2.2 / Tested