A particularly nasty crash can make it do that cold-reset thing. I ran into
that countless times while trying my hand at assembly development while
using ROM2 and MFORTH. in that case the problem isn't that the memory is
totally erased but that some important part gets corrupted and the stock
ROM starts over from scratch. I couldn't tell you for sure what or how it
happens, but it can.

Not necessarily the same as what you saw but I had an issue with my T102
that caused low voltages and battery drain due to the cassette remote being
stuck on. The give-away for that case was if I carefully put the batteries
in, I could hear the relay click on and stay on, regardless of the state of
the on/off switch. It might be worth putting the machine on an ammeter and
see if it's pulling some excess current if your batteries seem to not last
as long as they should.

--
Disclaimer: Any resemblance between the above views and those of my
employer, my terminal, or the view out my window are purely coincidental.