Thanks all! Being able to poll the status of CTS in BASIC was the missing
link. I've been doing a similar mini BASIC "printer driver" that would just
do garbage loops to delay enough to usually print. I'm going to read the
ports as described above and see if I can get things humming on the M100.
Will report back.

Re the 200 flow control, I can at least say pretty definitively that
respects external CTS signals even in BASIC or telcom. I've tried it on a
couple different RS-232C printers and both promptly overflow from a 100 or
102, but keep pace on the 200.

Which is great news, I wish it were so easy on the 100. My use case is
printing out basic code from EDIT by just saving to the COM port. Super
cool that I have a cable that'll at least let me do it on the 200.

Here's my cable (male db25 on both sides, left is computer, right is
printer).

1 ----- 1
2 ----- 3
5 --|_ 20
6 --|
7 ----- 7

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4610032 - also fwiw, had great luck with
this easy and quick-to-print db25 shroud (which from the photos was
designed by someone with a model t). Standard m3 hardware, everything fit
first time.