Hello Lynne,

There are several ways to display man pages using scripts in Terminal, as
summarized recently, for example, in this Mac OS X Hints page titled "Open
formatted man pages in Preview from the command line":
<http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20110511111211385>

The man pages are also available at the Apple Developer's site, and if I want
to refer someone to the man page definition in a post, I'll google the command
to post a URL (e.g. "man <name of command> apple developer").  The complete man
pages are available from:
<http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/index.html%23//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40000894>

However, if you don't want to create a script or put a definition in a
".profile" file in your account, try looking into Bwana, which is a freeware
app that is Lion ready, and which will display the man pages in Safari. Here's
the URL of a recent blog post, "Man Pages Made Easy", that gives examples of
how to use Bwana, and also gives a link to the download location:
http://krypted.com/mac-os-x/man-pages-made-easy/

Alternatively, there's a $2.99 app in the Mac App Store called "Man Page
Viewer" that you can try.  (Bwana should actually give you more capabilities,
but this looks like it might be a simple solution).  The other options either
involve apps that I'm not sure are still supported under Lion, or else which I
don't feel necessarily justify the price (e.g. the $25 price for Manpower in
the Mac App Store).  I haven't tried the options mentioned in these last two
paragraphs myself, but they're what I would look into.

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther

On Aug 14, 2011, at 23:35, Mrs. Lynnette Annabel Smith wrote:

> Hello everybody
>
> Does anybody happen to know whether there is a way to dump the output of a
> man page in terminal to a text file? I need to refer to the syntax of a
> command but I would prefer to have it available in front of me as I work. So
> what I thought I could do was to dump it to a text file and then print it
> out. But the usual method doesn't seem to work on this occasion and it looks
> as though the information on the command I'm looking at is a multi-page
> command.
>
> Lynne

You can find a monthly formatted archive of all messages posted    to the
Mac-Access forum at the following URL: