Chris a useful resource that I recommend checking out is
www.macfortheblind.com

Hopefully you should enjoy that site.
I love my Mac and I would love to get an iPhone but the voices i just don't
simply understand them and the touch screen doesn't really appeal to me.
The only thing I wish I could have on the Mac and IOS is elquance. If I had
this I wouldn't go back to windows and before anyone asks this is not a
blindness desire but is more needed for my hearing impairment. So if that day
comes around I will be jumping around like crazy.  So for now I use both
platforms because of the above situation I have.

Good luck with your research. Oh and by the way I brought a 13 inch Mac Book
Pro.
Just as a side note when I went the Apple store in blue water I noticed that
the Mac Book Air has two USB ports which is the same as the Mac Book Pro. so
all you need to think about is do you want a CD-ROM drive or not. Obviously I
chose that but I don't know how much they are going to be around in Apple's
line up of computers. Just so you know that.

Thanks

Daniel