Hi Lynne,

One more test phrase, since this is for Gordon and may put a smile on his face:
have him hold down the home button and after the two beeps, try saying:
"Open the pod bay doors, Siri"

He may get different results when he tries this at different times, and with
increasing insistence, so it's worth repeating.

Also, before asking Siri to perform more detailed actions, like "Call my wife",
it can be useful to go through and identify people and their relations to you,
whether you use nicknames, etc.

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther