Hi Gordon,

As John and others have suggested, you should check whether this behavior is
present only for your account, or for other logins.  That will determined
whether it is a user account specific plist file that has been corrupted.
Other things you can try are checking whether this behavior is also present
when you use a paired Bluetooth keyboard, which might point to a key remapping
issue rather than a physical keyboard problem.  If you have old cloned bootable
backup, you could try attaching and booting from that hard drive and checking
whether the same problems exist for you under your account.  That would also
help to separate out physical hardware issues from corrupted preference files.
I wouldn't expect key remapping to be an issue unless you have remapped keys as
part of a virtual machine installation or used KeyRemap4MacBook.

It's also possible that you could have text expansion or text substitution
software like TextExpander or Typinator running.  again, that would probably
only affect your account

HTH?  Cheers,

Esther