--- MUGWump <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Windows has a way of doing that. I'm on the verge of
> having to do a
> "Windows meltdown" on my PC--I'm having problems
> with programs
> failing to work and load (the latest is NERO! I'm
> having to improvise
> with other software to do my CD burning).
<clip>

On win 9x you can clean up the Registry from DOS mode.
Reboot and the instant it pops up "Starting Windows
95" (or 98) hit F8 then select Safe Mode Command
Prompt Only. If you're not looking at c:>\ enter
CD\ and you will be.

Now enter

regedit /e backup.txt

and wait until the command prompt returns. This
exports all valid data from the registry. When it's
done, enter

regedit /c backup.txt

You'll get a percentage counter that will run up to
100% then go back to the command prompt.

Restart back to Windows and delete backup.txt from C:
because it'll be a few megabytes big.

If the export or import fails, you got problems. :P

If you're running original Win95/95a you need to hunt
up a patched version of Regedit from 95B because
there's a bug in the original version that causes the
export to not work. You can't just use the newer
Regedit because it checks for the correct Windows
version. That's what is fixed in the patched version.

=====
Say hello to Juror #49. Yep, I'm on jury duty until the end of March. Gotta call in
each weekend. Fun.