Mark D. Chapman wrote:

Hi Folks,

Just an update. I tried the registry rebuild recommended here. Unfortunately, all that did was crash the PC. So I gave up and made a new drive container. The drive container started up fine. DOS and Win98 installed with no problems (except taking a huge amount of time). Good so far.

You'd have been better off cleaning the rubbish out with a windows utility or atleast backdating the reg before rebuilding. Even after the rebuild crashes you still should have been able to backdate the reg to a time before the attempt. A reinstall is best if you have nothing of value otherwise its generally repairable.

Unfortunately, my 64 MB memory card now appears to be kaput (when I put it into the 7500 by itself I get the breaking glass sound) and my sound does not work. Ah well, I guess I will run on 16 MB for a while.

I dont think the card is as fussy as a mac which is why the card will boot with a dodgy simm. Win98 on 16mb isn't any fun, have you tried Winlite? You might find it useful regardless of the amount of ram, Win95 explorer and 98 functions.
Anywho the ram problem explains the part of you previous post which I couldn't figure.

If I put a 128 MB card in the P166 will it work? Will it cause any problems?

GURU says no!, FPM only but 72mb (8 onboard or 80 with 16) is the max supported. Brian is the only person to try 128mb I think. I'd be interested since the ram is dirt cheap. http://homepage.mac.com/olivers/DOScard/DOScard.html
Sadly the link Dana posted earlier is down again.

Once your up to speed install some utility to keep the rubbish down.