I use Canon's Camera Window software to view files while they are still on
the memory card (via a card reader). Then I select the video files to
download to my Movies folder, leaving the still photos alone. Once the
videos are on my computer, I use Canon's Image Browser program to rotate the
movies that I took in vertical orientation, so I can view them without
keeping my head at a 45 degree angle. It's the only free program I have
known that could do this.

Finally I close those programs, dismount the Canon volume, and unplug the
card reader. Then I tell the computer to open photos in iPhoto (via the
Image Capture app), reconnect, and download the stills into iPhoto.

I have been using this two-fold approach for a few years, using iPhoto 4,
which is all I've ever known until I bought the new iMac recently. I know
you can download movies into iPhoto these days, but this was not so in
iPhoto 4. I haven't yet explored iPhoto '08's capabilities, and when I do
perhaps I won't need the Canon software anymore.

But right now I've got three cards full of pictures and videos and I just
want to get 'em off there and onto the new computer so I can look at them.

Hope this answers your question.