Somehow I didn't have the fdm folder on my system - probably from mucking
around. However I did a new flash of clean
bone-debian-8.7-machinekit-armhf-2017-02-12-4gb.img.xz image and sure there
it is. Unfortunately when the first thing when I log into this new install
I do is run machinekit and select the Fabrikator Mini CRAMPS configuration,
then try the ./run.py script I still get the same error.

And the combination of sudo apt-get remove machinekit
machinekit-xenomai/update/install machinekit-xenomai only removes
machinekit packages from system and when installing it still falls on the
same error. I will try purge next with new clean install.