Hi Chris,

This is not a special version of Machinekit. This is merely a GUI like
Axis, Touchy, Gmoccappy, etc. None of the currently available UI can run
without X to my knowledge except for some Text based UI's. This makes
running machinekit and controlling it on RPi or Beagle Bone without a
remote display tough. Until now, as far as I know, it is most popular to
run machinekit on embedded hardware as you explained via an
HTTP server/client setup which requires another device for the display. You
can run axis. gmoccapy, etc from inside X (even over the network via ssh)
but it is awfully slow and very impractical for commercial applications. My
goal is to solve this issue, we want to use the onboard video
capabilities of an embedded platform as the display interface by making the
best use as possible of the hardware it has. By cutting X out of the way,
we get rid of a whole lot of bloat and have direct control over how we
render to the display.