The pinfile examples I come across are as you say using the ClockLowTag,
looking at the sserialwa.vhd file in mksocfpga "clockmed" is referenced all
over the place, but I'm not the guy to be trying to figure out what's what
in any type of code unless it's hal or it's obvious. I DL'd the 5i25 source
zip from mesanet (I assume this started with the 5i25 sources), i diff'd
the idromconst.vhd's and the only SS related changes I see are the
additions of  a "SSerialNTXEn0Pin" pintype. sserialwa.vhd seems to have
changed this

port map(
addra => regaddr,
addrb => ioradd(log2(InterfaceRegs) +1 downto 2),
clk  => clk,
dina  => ibus,
-- douta =>
doutb => libus32_3,
wea => hloadregs3
);

makeUARTRs: for i in 0 to Ports -1 generate
auarrx: entity work.uartr8
port map (
clk => clkmed,
ibus => mobus,
obus => iodata,
popfifo => readrxdata(i),
loadbitratel => loadrxbitratel(i),
loadbitratem => loadrxbitratem(i),
loadbitrateh => loadrxbitrateh(i),
readbitratel => '0',
readbitratem => '0',
readbitrateh => '0',
clrfifo => clearrxfifo(i),
readfifocount => readrxfifocount(i),
loadmode => loadrxmode(i),
readmode => readrxmode(i),
fifohasdata => rxfifohasdata(i),
rxmask => drven(i), -- for half duplex rx mask
rxdata => rxdata(i)
         );
end generate;

to this (generic map)

port map(
addra => regaddr,
addrb => ioradd(log2(InterfaceRegs) +1 downto 2),
clk  => clk,
dina  => ibus,
-- douta =>
doutb => libus32_3,
wea => hloadregs3
);

makeUARTRs: for i in 0 to Ports -1 generate
auarrx: entity work.uartr8
generic map (
Clock => BaseClock
)
port map (
clk => clkmed,
ibus => mobus,
obus => iodata,
popfifo => readrxdata(i),
loadbitratel => loadrxbitratel(i),
loadbitratem => loadrxbitratem(i),
loadbitrateh => loadrxbitrateh(i),
readbitratel => '0',
readbitratem => '0',
readbitrateh => '0',
clrfifo => clearrxfifo(i),
readfifocount => readrxfifocount(i),
loadmode => loadrxmode(i),
readmode => readrxmode(i),
loadfilter => loadrxfilter(i),
fifohasdata => rxfifohasdata(i),
rxmask => drven(i), -- for half duplex rx mask
rxdata => rxdata(i)
         );
end generate;

Other than that it's just some lines for filters and the addition of the
ntxenable stuff. I noticed MKSOCFPGA is missing sserialremote.vhd's. Other
than that I have no idea.

mesa sources <http://www.mesanet.com/software/parallel/>