on 9/25/01 2:43 PM, Thomas Schierle at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> While once cleaning up, I naturally :-) replaced his copy of
> Communicator 4.? by Explorer 5.0 SR1.

I hate to say this, but the softly mumbled words "Idiot" crossed my lips as
I was reading this sentence. Unfortunately, your method of 'cleaning up' is
extremely typical of IT support personel, too concerned about their own
comfort, and relatively clueless about workflow and actual tasks of the
users you support.

We have the exact same problem at one of my clients (I'm a consultant),
where the IT group's cluelessness singlehandedly keeps me employed.

> Now he keeps on complaining he can't navigate within text form fields
> anymore -- just simple arrow keys keep on working. Page up/down keys don't
> work within forms anymore (they're scrolling the whole page), beginning/end
> doesn't work at all.

QED. I'm surprised the user hasn't slaughtered you yet.

> Do I really have to give him Communicator back?

Yes!

>  -- I'd like to push
> all my Mac users to Explorer because due to my personal experience I have to
> spend less time for advice/coaching/support on Explorer users.

Allow me to enlighten you - *YOU* are being paid to keep your users
productive, and *NOT* to keep yourself comfortable.

Point is, Netscape *STILL* does certains tasks better (or, at all) that IE,
unfortunately, does not do in the same way (SSL private certificates, for
example). Additionally, certain sites are still not written cross-platform,
but to work with Netscape best.

This is a reality that you should be aware of, BEFORE messing with a
workflow system that your user is familiar with and used to.

At the very least, you should communicate what you do to your user, before
doing it, ask them what they do, and how they do it, and then evaluate if IE
can do it equally well, BEFORE switching them over.

Sorry if this sounds somewhat terse, but dealing with this kind of idiocy
all day long, this example set me off a bit.

> I hope MS is listening -- it's too bad the at this moment
> most decent HTML client isn't well suited for professional
> usage

I have to agree with you there - there are unfortunately still quite a bit
of functionals, that are not just window dressing, which IE is not capable
of supporting. I sincerely hope, now that 5.1/X is out the door, these
issues will be addressed in future updates.

Harry

---
http://www.zinkdifferent.com

"Virtue does not come from money, but rather from virtue comes money,
and all things good to man" -Socrates

To unsubscribe send mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To search the archives:
          <http://www.mail-archive.com/macie-talk%40lists.boingo.com/>