Thought I'd supply a few answers to some of these questions. (See below.)

On Mar 30, 2011, at 3:45 PM, Michael_google gmail_Gersten wrote:

>>> How about this for a good reason: EOF was huge and in need of a major
>>> overall.
>>>
>>> EOEditingContext was three different classes lumped into one big mess.
>>
>> Heh, that's how I see CoreData: one big mess. EOF did have one major
>> redeeming quality: I could understand it! :) I've given up on CoreData for
>> now. Maybe someday I'll revisit it...
>
> I only took a quick look at Core Data, and it didn't seem that hard to
> understand -- about 75% of EO with much less confusion. What did I
> miss that was confusing?
>
> EOEditingContext ...

I think you're confusing EOEditingContext with EOControl.

> Well, lets see. At the bottom was EOAccess, which was in two parts.
> One stock, and one was "roll your own" database specific. There was no
> real sample code to base your work on, other than flat file -- no
> actual sample SQL database example. I'm assuming that's changed now.
> The whole "No basic DB adaptor included for any free DB other than
> flat files" thing kinda stank as well.
>
> Then, you had a portion of EOEditingContext designed to get stuff out
> of EOAccess.
>
> Then, a portion of EOEditingContext designed to edit.
>
> Then, a portion of EOEditingContext designed to provide data to the display.
>
> Then, * Two different display classes, with different interfaces, with
> no unifying access protocol *.
>
> It wasn't always clear what the details of routine X actually did --
> the documentation was horribly lacking in places, and "determine by
> experimentation" is a really bad way to go.

I started with WO in 1997, but I'm having trouble remembering the state of
documentation back then. By the time WO 5 came out, the javadocs were pretty
complete, as I recall.

> The whole object's primary key generation seemed to only be half
> documented. The whole "you need to know what class this row is
> expected to turn into ahead of time" was a problem. While "Encode the
> class in the primary key" was the quoted answer, there was no sample
> "How to" to make it work. And despite everything that was done,
> duplicate default primary keys could still be generated -- they were
> not unique enough.

I never had a problem just using a sequence as the primary key generation
method. For very high transaction volumes, generating keys within the
application should have some advantages.

> There were hooks to allow you to save a session state, but how to use
> them wasn't really well explained. At the time, A magazine (I think it
> was Byte) had a challenge to the three big database systems (Apple's
> Wo/EOF was one of them) to implement a fictional "nile.com" -- an
> amazon-like book seller. One of the test cases was pulling the power
> plug on one of the three servers, to see if there was automatic
> failover -- and Apple did not.

WebObjects has a pretty decent deployment system built-in, but if you prefer
you can deploy using a J2EE container using any J2EE-compliant server.

> And, I don't know if the "raw rows memory leak" was ever fixed --
> every time you fetched an object, the raw database row was brought
> into memory, and never discarded.
>
> I'm assuming a database adaptor code base now exists, and now that I
> know of project wonder, I'm assuming that there's "specify class in
> the primary key" stuff in there. Heck, I'm assuming that there's a
> good "store/fetch list/array/other ordered collection into database"
> method by now.

The move to Java simplified this, as all the connections are now JDBC-based.