I get a deal of spam, and have to check it all to make sure that there are no
legitimate messages in there.

I decided to get clever and set up an auto reply for all messages received from
those not among my previous recipients, offering real people the chance to
contact me by other means. So now, in place of the spam, I get a host of
failure messages when my automatic reply hits invalid addresses.

Is there any way of replying automatically to incoming message using an address
other that that to which the message was sent?

There was an auto-reply script for Mail, but it died when X came in.