On 11 aug 2012, at 19:07, Andrew Brown <li...@c18.net> wrote:

>> There is another option. Gmail does a terrific job of filtering out spam.
>
> Yes, and pretty much else too. My number one colleague, with whom I exchange
> hundreds of mails a year, uses Gmail, and none of my messages get through.
> The Gmail pages explaining why would take centuries to read and eons to
> implement, so I use one of his secondary addresses, when I remember.

This is your colleuges inbox and therefore his responsibility to let your email
address be flaged as to be put in his inbox. All addresses in the inbox owners
address book could or most often even should be allowed to get through. It is
often just a matter of setting a preference option for this to happen and
nothing complicated.

Another way to put an 'allowed' rule for your address is to simply allow it
when a mail is found and opened. This should be, regardless of if you/he use
Goooogles spam filter or Mail.app's filter. It is such a basic rule you going
to find it in perhaps every spam filter you can find?

Remind your colleuge to set this flag.

In the same way you could benefit from using spam filter? After a period of
training the filter it will let good in and mark spam with just a few
misstakes. A lot of spam is repeated and is therefore easy to search and
handled in batch form. A dedicated user (you) could bring order to the mess and
leave just a minor problem to be taken care of by hand by using a spam filter.
Use a junk box to let you look at those messages that been marked as spam. In
there you can use searches to batch delete a lot and then let you make sure
nothing good get deleted.

If your inbox has a lot of messages coming in daily you could benefit from auto
sorting some of your good messages in different boxes. This together with spam
filter take a lot of the burden out of the inbox to present your mail for you.
Hopefully you end up with an easily handable amount of messages left and still
get a chance to make sure any message marked as spam is marked correct before
deleting it.