>>> There is another option. Gmail does a terrific job of filtering out spam.
>>
>> Yes, and pretty much else too. My number one colleague, with whom I exchange
>> hundreds of mails a year, uses Gmail, and none of my messages get through.
>> The Gmail pages explaining why would take centuries to read and eons to
>> implement, so I use one of his secondary addresses, when I remember.
>
> This is your colleuges inbox and therefore his responsibility to let your
> email address be flaged as to be put in his inbox. All addresses in the inbox
> owners address book could or most often even should be allowed to get
> through. It is often just a matter of setting a preference option for this to
> happen and nothing complicated.

That's a good point. I had to train Gmail for about a month because one mailing
list in particular would wind up in spam a lot.

But after a month, the error rate dropped to almost zero.

Still, privacy is an issue. As I said, my trust for Google dropped to zero
overnight.

---
This is coming from Mail.app. I hate the new Gmail web look, and dislike Mail
only slightly less.