On Aug 10, 2012, at 7:38 AM, Andrew Brown wrote:

> I get a deal of spam, and have to check it all to make sure that there are no
> legitimate messages in there.
>
> I decided to get clever and set up an auto reply for all messages received
> from those not among my previous recipients, offering real people the chance
> to contact me by other means. So now, in place of the spam, I get a host of
> failure messages when my automatic reply hits invalid addresses.
>
> Is there any way of replying automatically to incoming message using an
> address other that that to which the message was sent?
>
> There was an auto-reply script for Mail, but it died when X came in.

There are a number of commercial services, like Boxbe, that do this.
Challenge/response systems are considered harmful:

http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/329.html

For one thing, much spam is sent "from" forged addresses, so your system ends
up simply adding to the spam load of people who have already been victimized.

--
  Macs R We -- Personal Macintosh Service and Support
    in the Wickenburg and far Northwest Valley Areas.