On 12 aug 2012, at 04:15, Andrew Brown <li...@c18.net> wrote:

>>> Yes, and pretty much else too. My number one colleague, with whom I
>>> exchange hundreds of mails a year, uses Gmail, and none of my messages get
>>> through. The Gmail pages explaining why would take centuries to read and
>>> eons to implement, so I use one of his secondary addresses, when I remember.
>>
>> This is your colleuges inbox and therefore his responsibility to let your
>> email address be flaged as to be put in his inbox. All addresses in the
>> inbox owners address book could or most often even should be allowed to get
>> through. It is often just a matter of setting a preference option for this
>> to happen and nothing complicated.
>>
>> Another way to put an 'allowed' rule for your address is to simply allow it
>> when a mail is found and opened. This should be, regardless of if you/he use
>> Goooogles spam filter or Mail.app's filter. It is such a basic rule you
>> going to find it in perhaps every spam filter you can find?
>>
>> Remind your colleuge to set this flag.
>
> He's done all that, nothing helps, my messages are not reaching his machine.
> As I said, this is a common enough problem with Google for them to devote
> many pages to the issue. Perhaps Google feels the same way about me that I
> feel about Google, and treats my messages the way I treat theirs.

If i understand you correct: this is a Google bug or piece of poor design? I
assumed such a flag to be over riding any other spam filter setting since it is
manually set by the user. The users will should be law! If an 'allow' setting
is not respected by the filter I would say it is malfunctioning, or as we call
it a bug.

>> In the same way you could benefit from using spam filter? After a period of
>> training the filter it will let good in and mark spam with just a few
>> mistakes.
>
> I use two, Pair's and Mail's, but that does not stop me having to go through
> scores of spam every day to find the occasional genuine message. I am now
> transferring all mail from people not in my address book and not in my
> previous recipients list to a new box and if that contains only a few genuine
> message after a week will then delete all such mail on arrival.

A particular email address can be more or less ruined after some time in use,
depending on how it have been handled by the user and others. If it becomes
overloaded by spam floods, more than what the user can stand, it could be the
time when a new email address could be considered. It is a matter of distribute
the new address to those who need it and some more.

I know you know this. I just remind you of this option since it is surely not
what anyone want and therefore a bit hard to accept. Sort of spammers win, I
loose kind of situation. But the migration could give you silence..., until the
first spam mail arrives in your new inbox :/