Your definitions are correct, but carbon apps can come in two forms.  If you
are careful in writing your carbon app, and compile it in PEF format, it can
run in OS 9 as well as OS X. If you compile into Mach-O, you can use some
native services that you can't with PEF, and it will only run in OS X, and
not OS 9.  Either way, you will get a blue (or graphite) apple in the menu
bar instead of a multicolored one.