on 4/1/01 10:23 PM, Ian Ragsdale at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Pepper is definitely carbon - it runs on OS 9 as well.

That's cool, I never tried to install it on OS 9.

The Appleworks and Fetch installers worked fine when I did a standard OS X
install with OS 9 preinstalled. When I reinstalled OS X I reformatted the
disk to unix and did not install OS 9 first. Neither of them will install
now, but I haven't really tried enough other apps to figure out a common
thread.

I thought maybe the problem is that they were "Carbonized Classic Mac OS"
applications and not truly Mac OS X "Native" apps and somehow depended on
the HFS file structure.  As I said before, I thought it might be a stupid
question. But something odd is going on here.

I won't be running "Classic" with OS X and I figured it might be easier to
install perl modules if I used a unix format on the disk. (any comments on
that?). But if it doesn't make a difference when installing unix software
and it breaks OS X apps, then it doesn't seem to make sense to use a unix
disk format.

BTW, since fetch will not install, I tried using "transmit". I really like
the interface on transmit, but it crashed twice after downloading a folder
of about 50 documents. But hey, at least it installed ;-)

Cheers,

--

Bill Stephenson
www.SecureShopper.com