On Saturday, September 29, 2001, at 03:02 PM, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
>> Jim" == Jim Cooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> Jim> How about a discussion about "what if" perl 5.6.1  might
> not compile
> Jim> correctly on the upcoming release of MACOSX 10.1?
>
> Has anyone confirmed or denied it, now that 10.1 is gold?

I got it to build (on a G3/400) with the config.sh attached.
Basically, I had to do the same stuff that 10.0.x required (the
"firstmakefile" stuff to avoid the case-insensitivity problems
on HFS+) and then I sprinkled "-flat_namespace" around in all
the compiler/linker flag options.  I'm sure it's in places where
it shouldn't be, but I really just wanted to get it built.

"make test" looks about the same as 5.6.1 on 10.0.x, from what I
remember.  Here it is on 10.1 (with everything but the failures
snipped, and some output trimmed):

---

pragma/warnings......PROG:
# pp_hot.c [pp_print]
[...]
EXPECTED:
Filehandle STDIN opened only for input at - line 3.
Filehandle STDOUT opened only for output at - line 4.
Filehandle STDERR opened only for output at - line 5.
Filehandle FOO opened only for output at - line 6.
Filehandle STDERR opened only for output at - line 7.
Filehandle FOO opened only for output at - line 8.
GOT:
Filehandle STDIN opened only for input at - line 3.
Filehandle STDOUT opened only for output at - line 4.
Filehandle STDERR opened only for output at - line 5.
Filehandle STDERR opened only for output at - line 7.
FAILED at test 303
[...]
lib/db-btree.........FAILED at test 0
[...]
lib/db-recno.........#
# Some older versions of Berkeley DB version 1 will fail tests 51,
# 53 and 55.
# [...]
FAILED at test 51
[...]
lib/posix............FAILED at test 11
[...]
Failed 4 test scripts out of 251, 98.41% okay.

---

Still, I hope the next version of perl (5.8.x?) builds on Mac OS
X without any of these gymnastics.  Also, I wish I could get it
to build with the default "two-level namespace" settings in OS X:

http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/ReleaseNotes/TwoLevelNamespaces.
html

because I think the symbol conflicts in libapreq will be solved
by this feature, and I'll finally be able to do useful work in
mod_perl by having both Apache::Cookie and Apache::Request
loaded at the same time! :)  (That's my next project in 10.1.)

-John