John> I got it to build (on a G3/400) with the config.sh attached.
John> Basically, I had to do the same stuff that 10.0.x required (the
John> "firstmakefile" stuff to avoid the case-insensitivity problems on
John> HFS+) and then I sprinkled "-flat_namespace" around in all the
John> compiler/linker flag options.  I'm sure it's in places where it
John> shouldn't be, but I really just wanted to get it built.

John> "make test" looks about the same as 5.6.1 on 10.0.x, from what I
John> remember.  Here it is on 10.1 (with everything but the failures
John> snipped, and some output trimmed):

I built 5.7.2 and got roughly the same rough spots.  Here's the
invocation line:

% ./Configure -ders -Dprefix=~ -Dfirstmakefile=GNUmakefile -Dusedevel
-Dldflags=-flat_namespace

But I'm excited by the fact that it's working this far. :)