question from a newbie. How do I include a code fragment in a perl
script so it first gets included and then interpreted/compiled?

Ok. that's the short question. In other words, this is what I am trying
to do --

I have one index.pl (this is a web app), and everything passes through
this. So, if the call is to index.pl?do=login then the login page is
included, if the call is to index.pl?do=verify then the verify page is
included. This is how I work in the world of other web programming (Cold
Fusion, PHP, etc.). This way I have to declare all my use statements (to
import packages), other declarations, param checking, etc. in one place.
I also have one master template, and everything else is simply
included...

bunch of perl
html html html

require $do;

html html html

Except, if I do "require" then $do is evaluated outside this page, and
hence doesn't get any of the local variables. What am I not aware of
here?

On more general terms I need some advice. Although I have been building
web applications for several years now, I have discovered the joy of
Perl only recently (few months) and am totally enamored by it. I don't
really want to get good at CGI.pm because it is simply a replacement for
the html abomination, but since I am used to the html abomination,
CGI.pm is basically a pain in the derriere for me. I miss the
embeddability of other languages, so it makes me covet embperl.
Question -- is there anything wrong with coveting embperl, any
downsides? Are there other ways of doing things?

tia,

pk/