Sherm,

The make command will take the argument typically used to specify a
"tag" in the make file, and interpret it to mean the filename of a
makefile, if the file exists.  Normally, the "INSTALL" file does not get
confused with the "make install" command, which means to make the
install tag of the default makefile.  But because of the case
insensitivity of HFS, the 'make install' command gets confused with a
file that it's in the Perl bundle called "INSTALL", and says it can't
find the makefile directive or some such nonsense.

Well... I hope I've thoroughly confused you.  :)

-Alex