At 14:05 -0700 4/6/02, Alex S wrote:
>I'd prefer to see if we could convince the developers at Apple to
>use a better file system.  I'm hoping that one of the new people on
>the core Apple dev team (forget his name at the moment), who is a
>filesystems guy, is there to make that all better!  A journalled FS
>would be nice too.

If you want a more general solution than Perl changing the name of
the files to *.txt (which would mnake sense anyway as someone else
pointed out), then i think  changing make is far more likely than
changing Apple's file system.  What about updating make to deal with
the difference between a file called INSTALL and a tag install rather
than just blindly using the file system.

According to the man file for gnumake:

>        make  executes  commands  in the makefile to update one or
>        more target names, where name is typically a program.   If
>        no  -f option is present, make will look for the makefiles
>        GNUmakefile, makefile, and Makefile, in that order.

Nothing is mentioned about what the target an be, I guess the idea is
you can do "make file.o" and have it figure out to compile the .c
file?

Heck, even a special case for install/INSTALL would resolve a lot of
problems - perhaps even just a special build for Mac OS X that dealt
with the issue.

Expecting a case sensitive file system by default out of Apple any
time soon is a bit of a wish - beside, Mac OS still uses all the meta
data stuff that HFS provides that other file systems do not generally
provide.  As for UFS, I've heard of lots of people having Mac OS
related problems with that (ie, the file system works fine, but the
applications don't).
    Peter.
--
<http://www.interarchy.com/>  <http://download.interarchy.com/>