On Tuesday, June 4, 2002, at 05:45 PM, Alex S wrote:

> The make command will take the argument typically used to specify a
> "tag" in the make file, and interpret it to mean the filename of a
> makefile, if the file exists.

> Well... I hope I've thoroughly confused you.  :)

Sorry to disappoint you, then... Your explanation made perfect sense. :-)

It's surprising that make would behave this way, though. Why would make
assume that "install" really means "-f install," when there's a target
named "install" in the default makefile? I can see why it would revert
to trying that if it couldn't find a makefile, or couldn't find an
"install" target, but why would it second guess perfectly correct input?
That's just bizarre.

At any rate, the suggested workaround is a great idea. I'd even go
further than that, and add the .txt extension to *all* of the plain text
files, rather than just INSTALL, so that users of GUI-based systems see
an icon indicating that they're text files, and so that when they click
on them they open in their preferred editor.

sherm--

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. There might be a law
against it by that time.