On Monday, October 14, 2002, at 11:34 AM, Puneet Kishor wrote:

> I definitely cannot go to 5.8.0 because there is stuff I need to run
> that cannot run on 5.8.0. In any case, I'd rather not mess with Apple's
> perl install. It is simply not worth the trouble it causes.

I agree, messing around with Apple's Perl install causes trouble and
isn't worth it.

For the most part, Apple's instructions on upgrading to 5.8.0 are quite
good - the bit about exporting the LC_ALL_C variable to prevent warnings
about it was particularly enlightening. But when it comes to choosing
where to install it, they're brain-dead. The author says at the
beginning that they've been tested only to upgrade a "clean" install -
i.e. no CPAN modules are in /Library/Perl - and it shows.

You can install 5.8.0 without touching Apple's 5.6.0 install in any
way - you simply have to ignore Apple's suggestion of where to install
it. Don't use the default, which installs it into /Library/Perl, and due
to the fact that 5.6.0 puts its CPAN modules in /Library/Perl, creates a
horrible mess in there, and don't use "-Dprefix=/usr" to entirely
replace the stock Perl.

Just install it elsewhere, so it doesn't conflict. Using "-Dprefix=/opt"
will install it in /opt/lib/perl5, /opt/bin, and so on. You can use a
variety of prefixes, keeping as many different versions of Perl on your
system as you'd like. It's not voodoo, it simply takes a little
forethought, organization, and planning.

sherm--