On Wednesday, October 16, 2002, at 06:51  AM, Puneet Kishor wrote:

> I looked very longingly at bricolage, but I found a few things wrong
> with it... (1) it requires a lot of complicated pieces to be in place
> in order to work; (2) not supporting MySQL is problematic for me; (3)
> there was no way I could "play" with it before deciding... on
> bricolage's website there are a few screenshots, but that's it... no
> live demo, no list of other sites I can see that are running
> bricolage, etc. And, of course, since it is so complicated to install,
> I couldn't just easily "play" with it.

A few notes on this (caveat: I'm the Bricolage maintainer):

* Bricolage does require you to install Perl -- but only because you
need to compile Apache with mod_perl statically compiled in. You could
do this in a directory structure completely independent of Apple's Perl
if you needed to -- it's possible to have both. This is what I do, as a
matter of fact.

* I "requires a lot of complicated pieces to be in place in order to
work" because of how much it does. But that might be a clue that it
might be overkill for your needs. It's really designed to work for
large organizations.

* Some folks have offered to port Bricolage to MySQL, but no one has
actually done it. Pity. Anyway, PostgreSQL is *very* easy to install on
Mac OS X (either by compiling yourself or using a binary from
www.entropy.ch), and getting easier to use every day.

* I have a test installation of Bricolage you could play with. Just pop
me a message and I'll set up an account. Having a live demo, however,
would be a pretty serious security risk, since templates are written in
Perl and untainted.

* I'm working on getting a list of sites that use Bricolage. Here are a
couple:

     http://www.who.int
     http://www.dfaus.com/

* If you have Apache/mod_perl and PostgreSQL installed, installing
Bricolage is not at all difficult thanks to the hard work of Sam Tregar
in building an installation script. I'll concede that it's not as easy
as Moveable Type, though!

BTW, I wrote an appendix to the forthcoming ORA Mason book on
Bricolage. It covers installation and gives a brief introduction to
using it. Check it out!

Regards,

David

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                 ICQ: 15726394
http://david.wheeler.net/                      Yahoo!: dew7e
                                                Jabber: [EMAIL PROTECTED]