On Sunday, November 10, 2002, at 05:00  PM, John Delacour wrote:

At 3:19 pm -0600 10/11/02, Puneet Kishor wrote:

go to your web-sharing doo-hickey in the Systems Prefs and turn off web-sharing. That way the Apple apache WILL NOT be in the picture at all. Out, kaput.
Unfortunately, nor will Apache2 on this machine. If I turn off web sharing I can't connect to localhost at all.
well, seems like apache2 is not starting at all. If you turn off websharing all you are doing is turning off Apple's apache. Since, now no apache is running, you can't connect to the localhost.

So... turning off websharing is fine, because that is what you want... you don't want Apple's apache.

Once you have done that, proceed to dealing with apache2.

Now, you have to either start your custom apache2 manually, or set-up a start-up script. Depending on where you have installed apache2 (lets assume /usr/local/apache2) you will find a script called apachectl in the bin folder (/usr/local/apache2/bin/apachectl). Run apachectl --help and you will see its options. Typically you use "apachectl start" or "apachectl restart" or "apachectl graceful". Make sure you run the apachectl that is installed under your new apache2. Apache2 is not likely to be in the path, so it may get steamrolled by an earlier apachectl somewhere in the path. You can either modify your path so the apache2/bin comes first, or you can run the correct apachectl directly. Once you get it going the way you want it, you can figure out how to create a start-up script that you can either call by adding it to your login items in the System Prefs, or figuring out where the start-up scripts go (there might be something like init.d in Jagwyre, but I am not sure).

When you refer to jd.conf, that is just your user conf file, and is usually called by inclusion in the apache's httpd.conf file. You can add the same statement in your new apache2's httpd.conf so your jd.conf is called from within that.

Check the apache docs... it is quite well explained actually.

Thanks for your help. I'll did deeper. In the meantime this is the sort of problem I'm getting and it's getting rather tiring:

[eremita:Library/StartupItems/Apache] root# ./Apache
./Apache:11: 1: parameter not set
Please disable Apple's Apache, and restart.
[eremita:Library/StartupItems/Apache] root#

[eremita:local/apache2/bin] root# apachectl configtest
Syntax error on line 208 of /etc/httpd/httpd.conf:
see what you are doing here. You are trying to run your apache2 all the while using the httpd.conf file belonging to your earlier Apple apache.

[eremita:local/apache2/bin] root# apachectl configtest
will run the apachectl in your path, which happens to be the old apachectl. Do this instead

[eremit:local/apache2/bin] root# ./apachectl configtest
^^

This will run the apachectl sitting under apache2/bin.

Look at the httpd.conf that got generated for apache2... it should be under /usr/local/apache2/conf/httpd.conf. That is what you want.

If you want to copy some of the settings from the earlier httpd.conf, use a text editor to do that, but use the conf file that came with apache2. You can use the -f parameter to tell httpd which conf file to use.