At 5:31 pm -0600 10/11/02, Puneet Kishor wrote:

[eremita:Library/StartupItems/Apache] root# ./Apache
./Apache:11: 1: parameter not set

[eremita:local/apache2/bin] root# apachectl configtest
Syntax error on line 208 of /etc/httpd/httpd.conf:
see what you are doing here. You are trying to run your apache2 all the while using the httpd.conf file belonging to your earlier Apple apache.
Ah! Dawn tinges the horizon.

[eremita:local/apache2/bin] root# apachectl configtest
will run the apachectl in your path, which happens to be the old apachectl. Do this instead

[eremit:local/apache2/bin] root# ./apachectl configtest
^^

This will run the apachectl sitting under apache2/bin.
Yes, and now ./httpv -V , rather than httpd -V gives me the good news and I've managed to get some sort of config working. Now I also get the right docs too, I'm beginning to feel quite a geek!

If you want to copy some of the settings from the earlier httpd.conf, use a text editor to do that, but use the conf file that came with apache2. You can use the -f parameter to tell httpd which conf file to use.
Yes, I think I'll be able to manage now. Thanks for all the help. I just have a few basic things to sort out now, like

bash-2.05a$ sudo ./apachectl start
httpd: Could not determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.0.1 for ServerName

JD