On Jun 8, 2005, at 12:57 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

On Jun 7, 2005, at 3:32 AM, Sherm Pendley wrote:

and *if* that fat perl doesn't require me to buy an Intel/Mac with money I don't have ...

I forget which session it was in, but it said you can build both ppc and i386 on both platforms.

That's very good to know - it takes some of the immediate pressure off.

No promises, but if you want to work on CamelBones for i386, I can put out some feelers and see if we can help someway.

There's been some discussion on the Perl 5 Porters' list as well, wondering if Apple could set up accounts on a 'net-accessible machine. Such a machine would be helpful to several others besides myself. The latest CB version supports standalone .pl scripts. So an account on a shared machine would be quite adequate to for me to run the CB self-tests.

This is a little tricky, but doable. Because we build fat, we have to edit Configure.pm to remove that fact, otherwise it would always try to build fat, and fail for most people, since the cross- compiler is not available. But you can pass the appropriate flags to a perl module so it will build fat; that is what we do to build the things in /System/Library/Perl/Extras (on Tiger), for instance.

Not a problem - As of the second 1.0 release, the Makefile I'm using is already set up to use the Xcode SDKs anyway. All of the release binaries - Jaguar, Panther, and Tiger - are built under Tiger using the appropriate SDK. In fact, there is already at least one place where a preprocessor flag is defined only for a specific SDK, to silence a particular warning.

So the groundwork is all there already - if all that's involved is adding a few compiler and/or linker flags for the 10.4u SDK, that will be easy.

and *if* the ffcall library that CamelBones uses is updated to support Darwin/x86 calling conventions ...

For what it's worth, in my testing last year, I built CamelBones-0.2.3 fat

2.3 didn't use ffcall. :-(

Frankly, I'm not *too* worried on that score, although it's a critical piece of the puzzle. Either ffcall or ffi will be updated sooner or later, I'm sure. Switching to ffi would be a bit tedious, but not difficult.

sherm--