> You can actually use libc++ all the way back to 10.6 (with the libcxx
> port). The trick is that if you build root against libc++, then every
> library it uses via a C++ API must also be built against libc++, and
> likewise for every library that uses it via a C++ API.

Yes, but that doesn't help here, as the libc++ on 10.6 does not support c++11 fully. See below.

It sounds like root wants to use bundled copies of all its dependencies,
which while suboptimal for all the usual reasons, does at least solve
that side of the problem. I don't know if root exposes a C++ API for its
dependents, but if it does, they could also be made to use libc++.

Not really. ROOT will use external dependencies just fine.

Its just ROOT6 has moved to a new interpreter based on clang, 'cling', and to build this ROOT6 does internally build parts of a clang release, which currently is I believe based on clang 3.5. They have also decided to fully embrace c++11 (I good thing) but this means root6 now only supports compilers that fully support c++11. That can be libc++ or libstdc++ (ROOT6 builds fine with gcc 4.8 on linux), it just has to be fully c++11 compliant...

Chris