SO unless MacPorts is planning on switch its 10.8 builds to by default use
libc++, this doesn't help much with getting the port working on 10.8

At this time, we believe it is best to leave 10.8 and earlier on libstdc++, and
use libc++ on 10.9 and later. There is a FAQ entry…

Yes of course. I wasn't suggesting the policy should be changed, just I think it would be the only way to properly support c++11 on OSX10.8, if it where ever decided that was important enough to do. Sorry if that wasn't clear..

Chris