Hello Keith and all:

Go for it (wink). I do have to tease you a little though ... my Apple
journey got started over at the Apple store near I-65. So, if the guys
in Green Hills cause you to stand on line again ... just hop over to
the other store in town ... they will help you out and take all the
money you did not know you wanted to spend (wink).

You want one now ... you know you do (smile).

One Nashvillian to another ... even though I was a transplant (smile).
On Jul 9, 2009, at 11:45 AM, Josh de Lioncourt wrote:

> The VoiceOver volume is separate from the phone's volume. It can be
> turned up very loud, but there is a trick to it. You need to turn up
> the volume while VO is speaking.
>
> Unless you are calling a lot of numbers that are not in your contacts,
> I've found that I rarely use the keypad, but that the keypad is quite
> easy to use. You can create a list of favorite numbers which acts as a
> sort of speed dial.
>
> Mail is not set up the way you describe, because there really isn't
> enough room on the screen. There is a screen for switching mailboxes,
> and once in a mailbox, you just ahve a list of messages.
>
> The touch screen does seem strange at first, but that's only because
> it is an input medium with which the blind are, by and large, totally
> unfamiliar with. It rapidly becomes second nature.
>
> I can't imagine going back to any of my previous phones. The iPhone is
> far faster and efficient than any other phone with third-party screen
> readers, and I can do far more with the iPhone than I have ever been
> able to with previous phones I've owned.
>
> HTH.
>
> On Jul 8, 2009, at 9:37 PM, Kevin Reeves wrote:
>

>>                      I just got back from the Green Hills Apple Store in
>> Nashville Tn.
>> My intention was to go and look at the iPhone, and probably walk out
>> with one if I liked what I saw. However, due to the lengthy process
>> of
>> making a purchase, the apple store stopped selling iPhones about an
>> hour and a half before they closed. I showed up 5 minutes after this
>> cutoff time, but was encouraged to look at the display model as long
>> as I liked until close. Upon enquiring about having a sales person
>> turn on Voiceover, they called on another rep who had more experience
>> with Vo. Turns out, he  has some form of visual impairment, which
>> causes him to have to use the zoom feature. He knew right where vo
>> was, and turned it on for me. Now, the journey begins.
>>
>> My immediate observation was that of many other people. Vo is too
>> quiet, even with the volume cranked. In a store with a great deal of
>> background noise, I found vo somewhat hard to hear. Should have
>> followed my gut instinct and brought a headset along with me.
>>
>> My first 10 minutes with the phone was met with some uncertainty. I
>> was successfully able to explore the phone and open several apps.
>> However, I found the sensitivity of the touch screen a bit strange.
>> While dragging my finger along the icons, some would open at random.
>> At first, I found myself quite lost inside of the apps I was opening.
>> However, I soon found a consistent pattern to how these apps are laid
>> out. Once I realized this, I was better able to navigate around
>> several apps. I was soon successfully able to dial my own phone
>> number, making my cell phone ring in my pocket. Then, using my cell
>> phone, I was able to call the display model, answering and ending
>> said
> [...]

Take good care and I wish you enough.

Love

Me