Unfortunately for your position around touchscreens, they are much simpler to
use for the sighted. Touchscreens have been tested across multiple industries,
and in all cases which I have researched, they lower customer support from an
average of 12% - 15%, to 3% - 5%. Sighted people are overall much less confused
when they have direct feedback on that which they are manipulating. And, in the
sighted world, visual feedback is usually king.

David Chittenden, MSc, MRCAA
Email: dchitten...@gmail.com
Mobile: +64 21 2288 288
Sent from my iPhone

> On 12 Jun 2016, at 06:33, Sabahattin Gucukoglu <listse...@me.com> wrote:
>
> Well, to be sure, I do think the touchscreen was a step back, but not because
> of accessibility—well, not as much for accessibility.  My primary complaint
> with touch-screens (or, really, touch-anythings) has been the visualisation
> of information, which inevitably leads to trivialisation as it needs to fit
> within a simplistic UI paradigm to appeal.  Contemporary example: routers set
> up and configured using a touchscreen.  I still remember with great fondness
> the old Nokia E51.  Yes, it did far less, but it also wasn’t seriously
> crippled in what it could actually do, because it wasn’t constrained by good
> looks.  Oh yeah, and you could type faster on it, which helped.
>
> I concur with the scepticism, but only because I think the Mac is on its last
> legs.  Think it’s pretty clear that Apple have shown a commitment to solving
> accessibility problems; it just doesn’t look that way because of the
> deterioration of OS X.  But maybe I have yet to be surprised.  My ears are
> open.  On a personal level, I find the idea of making function keys into
> anything less than keyboard keys a little disconcerting, because those keys
> are used by applications and other operating systems.  Still, let’s see.
>
> Here’s a thought for those talking about VoiceOver support for this touch bar
> thingy: it wouldn’t work under virtualisation, with VO disabled.  Are you
> quite sure that this is what you want?
>
> USB-C is fine, really.  With the right adaptors (they don’t have to be
> Apple), and assuming that the port is TB3-compatible, it would mean even more
> use of Thunderbolt, which can hardly be regarded as A Bad Thing(TM), IMO.
>
> No, not all change is bad, of course.  It’s not always good, though, either,
> and merely accepting it is no bench test.  See the recent discussion on
> subscriptions for a nice illustration.  Personal experience says that the
> optical drive connected to my iMac is by no means as important as it once
> was, but I’m still grateful to have it attached.  I’m afraid streaming and
> cloud-based services are the culprit, which would have been OK by itself, but
> also that Apple dropped them from their desktops far more recklessly than was
> warranted.  Apple, of course, maintains cloud-based streaming services …
>
> Windows XP?  Yeah, still the only version of Windows I use regularly (in a
> VM).  But only for Windowsy things like games; nothing recent.  Even though I
> hate what Windows is turning into, I’d *never* recommend its continued use as
> a primary OS, and I agree that people who are clinging onto it for dear life
> at this point are, well, being rather silly.
>
> Anyway, carry on. :)

> list.

> ---

list.