That is because there is no built in screen reader for Windows, all the screen
readers rely on scripts to work. scripting to get programs to work on OS X is
not an option available to us, so therefore we have to apply pressure on
Microsoft to become more compliant with Apple's standards.  Adobe are making
strides to improve accessibility on the Mac for Flash and Acrobat.  ok it is
not here, yet but it will be here within the next 12 months.

We have to bare in mind that Microsoft does not make any of the screen readers
on the Windows platform, so it is up to the  vendors to get their products to
work with the OS and it's applications.