Office for Mac is still 32 bit, and still carbon.  They wanted to concentrate
on compatibility with the Windows sister suite before adopting the Cocoa
framework.  Apparently the next release will implement Cocoa so Office can take
advantage of 64 bit.  Outlook was rewritten  (previously known as Entourage) in
cocoa, including the ribbon.  However, this does not guarantee accessibility, I
am assuming Microsoft are using some customs APis here.