The App Store has perhaps become a little less efficient but at least on the
iPhone is anything but unusable. You can touch the bottom right of the screen
or even 1 finger swipe or touch the dock and 4 finger tap and then 1 finger
swipe through all apps.

Where exactly do you find it unusable?

Danny.

Sent from my iPhone