Hi,

ext Kalle Vahlman wrote:
> 2007/4/19, Chris Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>> looks like you ran  strace with /usr/bin/run-standalone.sh
>> /usr/bin/maemo-summoner /usr/bin/osso-application-launcher .... I
>> couldn't get that to work .....
>
> I ran it like this (from a ssh shell):
>
>  strace /usr/bin/maemo-summoner /usr/bin/osso-application-installer.launch

And this maemo-summoner usage should be documented in the Maemo
debugging guide...

If there are things that should be improved in the doc,
mail them to list / file a bug.

> The .launch-file is the real binary, the one without is just a symlink
> to maemo-invoker that tells a separate maemo-launcher process to load
> and run the .launch (simple, eh?-). This is a gross hack (though it
> does work ;) to speed up application startup time.

KDE has used a similar "hack" for years (their performance problem
was  mostly due to C++ symbol resolving, not Gtk theme).

> Maemo-summoner is a
> tool to do that directly so you can run strace and gdb for them
> without recompiling to a "normal" binary.
>
>> also looks like there might be some problems with gtk ... that's the
>> best reasoning I can come up with to explain things not getting drawn
>> to screen
>
> If the socket read/open blocks, it won't refresh the UI either. It's
> not a threaded application AFAICT.

        - Eero