Kees Jongenburger wrote:

> On a side note I followed the HowTo EASILY Boot From MMC card
> and I now have "boot from usb disk" should that work with the same patch?

In theory yes but you need to have correct modules and root device name
set for the bootmenu item in bootmenu.conf, it won't work out of box.
linuxrc script in initfs on N800 doesn't have any special suppport for
this (n770 one has so there is 'usb' root device). But it should still
work if the device automatically switches itself to host mode and
detects usb device correctly. Maybe there can be also timing problem if
you set usb as default boot device and skip the menu.

Anyway, if you make it working, let me know your bootmenu.conf settings
so I can add it to the n800 bootmenu.conf example configuration. Also if
you need to set host mode by hand on boot it can be solved too in
bootmenu.sh (see how poweroff is done).

I'd like to try it too but don't have cable yet. I was thinking about
building short usb female to female adapter so it could work together
with normal mini-usb cable. Slight disadvantage is that probably that
fifth pin for host mode autodetection doesn't have wire in the cable so
I cannot shortcut it in the short adapter I want to build => software
switching must be used.

Frantisek