Hi,

ext Neil Jerram wrote:
> Quim Gil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> This is an invitation to resume all previous discussions about "the
>> repository mess" and come up with conclusions and actions. Please read
>> this through and have a say, specially if you are maintaining a
>> repository with maemo packages out of maemo.org
>
> This all sounds very positive to me.  The only thing I'd add is that
> Nokia/Maemo should consider providing a auto-builder service for Maemo
> packages, such that
>
> - developers could upload source code packages
>
> - the autobuilder would attempt to build them, for all supported
>   platforms (gregale, bora and chinook)
>
> - if everything built successfully, the auto-builder would
>   automatically submit through to the extras-testing repository
>
> - if there were problems, the auto-builder would email those back to
>   the developer.
>
> Technically this is separate from the repository issue, but
> (i) I think it is needed, in addition to your repository proposals, in
> order to dramatically improve the availability and quality of 3rd
> party packages, and (ii) it would be a major incentive for developers
> to use extras and extras-testing instead of starting up their own
> repositories.

This doesn't necessarily need to be provided by Nokia, autobuild could
be also provided by some external party.

Even better would be if it could build Debian source package on
request. Just by giving it the package name it would fetch the sources
from Debian repository and (try to) build them for Maemo.

> Please note that, if such an auto-builder existed, this does not mean
> that developers should stop building the code themselves - because it
> would be wrong to upload to the auto-builder before having some
> confidence that the package will build.  It would be reasonable,
> however, for a developer to have only the current SDK (e.g. chinook)
> installed, to do their development using that, and to check that their
> package builds in that SDK's rootstrap, and then to use the
> auto-builder to handle building (and publishing packages) under the
> other platform SDKs.
>
> In some cases, of course, it will be impossible to make an application
> work on the older platforms.  Such cases could be handled by allowing
> a "Platforms: chinook" or "Platforms: chinook, bora" declaration
> in the source package upload.
>
> As regards implementation, note that the mud-builder project in garage
> has already done some useful work here - but in any case I don't think
> this auto-builder would be technically difficult; it's more a matter
> of whether you agree that this service would be a good idea and could
> invest the management resource to make it available.

        - Eero