> MISSION
>
> To provide the simplest interface for end users to get good quality
> third party software that downloads and installs flawlessly, without
> compromising their default system. [...]

I know I'm adding something a bit "out-of-the-rails", but I think this
subject is very important, and I can't avoid giving my two cents here.
I'm speaking as a user who's scared whenever it comes to install new stuff
on the 770, always fearing some mess after installation and rejecting
reflash need to death.

My proposal is to do whatever you think is the good approach, but it would
be at least *nice* (or a great working solution for the problem) to join
Thomas Leonard's approach, as a "promoted by maemo" complimentary
alternative, along with the other "more standard" solution you'll come
across.

I'm speaking of his "Zero Install" system, of course. For those who don't
know (or who have briefly tagged it as an "insecure" or "inadequate" thing
for some reason) it's a very well working project which (imho) deserves
much more attention than the current one; I can't imagine what's the
reason for this situation: maybe it's too much easy to use? ;)

This is an interview with the project leader (feb 2007), which can give a
quick go in understanding why I think at Zero Install as a worth
suggestion to this post; his words are surely better than could be mine,
so please spend 3 minutes reading it:

http://www.linux.com/articles/114230

The list of completed features can also be useful for a quick glance:

http://0install.net/roadmap.html

As you can read in the interview, "the greatest obstacle seems to be
getting Zero Install accepted by distributions. [...] All the same,
Leonard cites 'apathy' from distributions as a major problem for Zero
Install's acceptance."

So, my suggestion is: why not giving users a nice and secure way to run
stuff (I cannot say "install" :) on their shiny portable linux device,
simply by spinning the Zero Install system a bit, through an official
adoption from the maemo side?

It would require that developers wanting to offer maemo apps to public,
should arrange them in order to be retrieved through a Zero Install client
working on the device (it could be integrated in the Application
Manager!). If you don't like it (why?), ok it could be an option, maybe
something like a "Test Applications" panel in the Application Manager,
where the user could read a simplified version of this message:

"From here, you can test the application before installing it: if it
happens to fit your needs after some usage, we suggest to install it the
normal way. The files won't be downloaded again, just load the Application
Manager again and click it in the Install panel: in a few seconds you'll
have the tested application installed "the normal way"; otherwise, come
back here in the Test Applications panel, click on the Please Purge button
on the left of its name to remove everything (i.e. simply the zero install
cache folder for that app! ;) the orrible/stinky/broken application has
ever put on your beloved device. Please note that your maemo device will
be grateful if you find the time to perform the test before installing the
normal way."

--
Antonio