On Thu, 2007-10-25 at 00:00 +0200, ext Krischan Keitsch wrote:

> What kind of rules do you have in mind yet?

Almost no rules in mind. We'd prefer community minds to come up with the
process. This includes community developers that also happen to work at
Nokia (this is the case for some authors of some apps widely used and
appreciated by users). Up to them.

The very basic rules would be:

- The core maemo team facilitates the discussion and needs to bless the
conclusions, specially in those aspects requiring their actions (i.e.
changing the access policy to extras). Whatever is proposed needs to be
approved by Ferenc (*.maemo.org admin), Marius (Application Manager
owner) and myself (maemo product manager).

- Security is one strong aspect to consider, looking at the server
infrastructure and the tablets.

- Nokia ownership/control is another important aspect. Nokia owns the
infrastructure and is responsible of it. Nokia will not be responsible
of the software available in extras but will be recommending it to their
customers.

> How would the whole process look like?

The core mission is to guarantee the quality of the software hosted in
the extras repository. There is no gold rule for "quality" but a good
start could be
http://maemo.org/development/documentation/how-tos/4-x/quality_awareness.html

The details to achieve this are up to you. The process proposed will be
ok for us as far as it follows the mentioned basic rules, it's open and
agreed by the maemo community.

--
Quim Gil - http://maemo.org