On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 21:56:58 +0300, Marius Gedminas wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 03:46:28PM +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>> I'm following the instructions in
>>   http://inz.fi/blog/2007/10/22/multi-target-development-for-maemo/
>> as advised by Graham Cobb, and have run into a snag.
>
> Been there, done that, have a working scratchbox.
>
> (Actually, two, because http://maemo-sdk.garage.maemo.org/install.html
> also worked for me, and seems a bit simpler to set up.  It's not the
> official way though, and it's an early alpha version, so beware.)
>
>> When I get to the point of creating the bora rootstrap, it tells me:
>>
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ sb-conf rs mistral-armel
>> /scratchbox/packages/mistral-armel-rootstrap.tgz ERROR: You don't have
>> a Scratchbox user account!
>
> You need to run
>
>   sudo /scratchbox/sbin/sbox_adduser $USER
>
> you'll get prompted whether you want to add $USER to group 'sbox';
> answer yes and then log out/log back in, or run the following commands
> in a subshell spawned by 'newgrp sbox'.  The 'su - $USER' trick might
> also work; I hadn't known about it, but it makes sense.

Well, there's a /scratchbox/users/hendrik now.

>> One relevant point: The instructions said, "when it asks for users to
>> add to scratchbox, just choose your user (and whomever might want to do
>> scratchbox development on the box)."  But it has never asked for users.
>
> Perhaps your debconf priority is set to a high level, so you don't get
> asked unimportant questions like that ;-)

Ouch.

>> How do I fix this up after the fact?
>
> With sbox_adduser.

I seem to off track now.  Things are not behaving as I expect from the
 instructions.  Running the next commend in the list gives me:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ sb-conf rs mistral-armel
/scratchbox/packages/mistral-armel-rootstrap.tgz

You dont have active target in scratchbox chroot.
Please create one by running "sb-menu" before continuing

sb-conf: No such target: mistral-armel
sbrsh-conf: No current target
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$

And sb-menu gives me a lot of choices without explaining what they mean.
What, for example, is a target?  If 'mistral', 'bora', and 'chinook' are
targets, isn't setting them up what these instructions I'm following are
supposed to do?  It looks as if things have changed since these
instructions were written, or else that my installation has been
derailed somehow and I should wipe it and start over, with a different
debconf priority.

I feel like I'minstalling slackware again, but without the handy few
pages of paper telling me what's going on.  Is there documentation
somewhere that could tell me what's going on behimnd the scenes? -- what
all these commands do and need to do?

> By the way, if you run a recent distro with a recent kernel, you'll get
> other problems in the future.  Errors like

I'm running lenny with its up-to-date kernel.  Thanks for warning me
what's coming,

>   "Inconsistency detected by ld.so: rtld.c: 1192: dl_main: Assertion
>   `(void *) ph->p_vaddr == _rtld_local._dl_sysinfo_dso' failed!"
>
> are fixed by
>
>   echo 0 | sudo tee /proc/sys/vm/vdso_enabled
>
> and
>
>   "mmap: Permission denied"
>
> is fixed by
>
>   echo 4096 | sudo tee /proc/sys/vm/mmap_min_addr

Do these have to be reentered every time I reboot?

> HTH,
> Marius Gedminas

Thanks.

-- hendrik